Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Eastern Council : Session Three

+5
Sir Nickolas
Pravenstern
Psychozoa
Valdir
Shadow-Seeker
9 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

The Eastern Council : Session Three - Page 3 Empty Re: The Eastern Council : Session Three

Post by Tysha Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:00 am

Tysha shook her head.

"Absolutely not, I stand by my previous statement. I will pay the same tax as lowest of southern lords, and will allow no formations into Evasolde that I have not invited. If you wish to share the burden of defending the steppe, as you claim, invest instead in a Provincial Steppe Army. Training the soldiers is of no difficulty since the King was kind enough to send us members of his own Royal Army, but the training of officers is impossible without significant investment. Those individual lords who do wish to defend the northern border should reach out to whichever northern lord they please, and offer assistance as has been done for centuries. If you think you can station troops in our castles and hold blades at our throats, you'll find there are many lions in the north with many sigils."
Tysha
Tysha
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet
Character Name: Tysha Abaddon
Counties Ruled: Hex 9

Back to top Go down

The Eastern Council : Session Three - Page 3 Empty Re: The Eastern Council : Session Three

Post by Shadow-Seeker Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:41 am

Everard was slightly taken aback at the countess's response

"If I wasn't clear enough, the forces are not coming in uninvited. They wouldn't come in unless you allowed them too. Pretty much the same as a lord outreaching to you to provide assistance, but with a slight incentive to do so. The lord in question would have to have asked you your permission. Same thing as a lord asking you if he may assist you. You are free to say no."

"Investing in a provincial steppe army would take far too long, and cost too much. As you said yourself, a significant investment. The measure is to encourage assistance between lords. For lords who do not wish to defend the border, it hardly affects them, just where a part of their taxes go, no extra levy. For lords who do, it's slightly easier. All the bill is trying to achieve is a better defense for the northern border, and to make it easier for lords to provide assistance. A bill that takes into consideration all parties involved. And if you have an issue with the taxes, do realize that they are still paying, instead with military service and defense of the Steppe, that costs lives and manpower. Their tax is in blood as well as gold."

"I'm not stationing troops anywhere Lady Tysha. I'm not holding a blade at anybody's throat. The only involvement I would have in dealing with the troops is trying to secure them safe passage to the border once the assistance between the lords was agreed upon. Safe passage that would also take into consideration the lords of the land that is being traveled through."

"But the troops that would be going, would be troops of individual southern lords, that were allowed in, and are already told that they would be punished if they did anything. I think the council can agree that if any lord had committed such treachery as to break the laws of hospitality, through the pretenses of aiding the Steppe, they would be punished severely."
Shadow-Seeker
Shadow-Seeker
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name:
Counties Ruled:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolando Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:01 pm

The Bishop narrowed his eyes as he listened to the arguments being presented. Initially, he was surprised by the apparent vitriol but then he remembered that this was the Steppe; a place steeped in a violent raiding tradition.

"Forgive me once again, Governor. As a fellow follower of Astraea, you know that I consider you a friend, so please take no personal insult for what I'm about to say."

Rolando swallowed and took a moment to look at each lord assembled.

"This proposal is simply unacceptable. Those of us in the North already must defend ourselves against our barbarian neighbors, and while I have only recently arrived on the Steppe, this has been the case for great many years. However, we do not receive any kind of tax incentive for this and we have no choice but to prepare for these kinds of attacks continually. So why should the lords of the South receive this benefit and not us? At the very least, we should all be receiving this benefit if you are truly concerned about the well-being of the entire Steppe."

He took a breath and offered a small smile.

"But I actually question the need for this at all. While a few individual lords did not do so, when there was an actual threat—and I understand there is some disagreement about that—it didn't seem that there was any issue with southern lords rendering aide. If I didn't know better I would say that this was a mere ploy to benefit those in the South."

Rolando looked across the table, making a point to eye the various northerners.

"Personally, I see even more issues with this proposal. I may be a lord of the Steppe, but my first obligation is to The Church. I am not particularly fond of any suggestions to raise taxes for this very reason. I will not stand idly by as we consider raising taxes for ill-conceived proposals that seem to have no legitimate purpose. And I most certainly will not pay any more than is required by the southern lords.

I don't mean to be blunt, but with these implications, I think it is reasonable to consider the legitimacy of the Council."

Rolando
Renowned
Renowned

Character sheet
Character Name: Rolando Juárez
Counties Ruled: Walden, Hex 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Laisha Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:28 pm

"The bishop makes a valid point," added Laisha.  She was calmer again, though her brow was creased and her manner curt.  "The purpose of this council is for we of the steppe to unite for a common purpose.  This is a middle ground, not a place to dispense favors and act out petty disagreements.  We live in a dangerous land and you would make it all a game!"
Laisha
Laisha
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name: Laisha McCulloch
Counties Ruled: North Silverwood, 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Valdir Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:55 pm

"Personally, I have already send one of my captains and a large part of my army to aid the Bishop in the defense of his county. Those troops cannot raid other lords of the Steppe, nor can they scout my own county to ensure the safety of my travelling merchants and smallfolk.

The help is appreciated by the Bishop, I presume, and there was never a sign of mistrust. It is because of this that I now stand in disbelief how a simple gesture of friendship and good faith can turn into a ploy to weaken our north, when it passes angry ears.

Does the Governor truly ask too much from all of you when it is simply 'trust' and 'friendship' that he desires?

The Bishop speaks of a tax incentive, knowing that the entire steppe joins in to pay for the watchtowers already. It may not be the kind of lowered tax that he had in mind, but without the full tax we had not been able to pay the King's fine from the treasury.

Those that were present when I, as treasurer, came to compensate the northern lords together with our previous Governor, the honorable Count of Ravenfort, those that were present know that this compensation would have been increased if watchtowers had been built during Count Quiris' administration. Yet, despite their best efforts to defend the steppe from the barbarians, they did not built the necessary and much needed watchtowers."
Valdir
Valdir
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet
Character Name: Valdir Bazzano
Counties Ruled: Talon March [4]

Back to top Go down

Post by Tysha Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:54 pm

Tysha huffed, yet again.

"A pittance of the cost to build watchtowers.  This treasury is nothing but an Amalan scam.  We've paid in a great deal of gold, and only a handful of denars have returned for the original purpose: Defending the North.  There is no attempt to share the burden with this plan, this plan by Amelion is little more than a way to pay less taxes himself at best, and a plot to overtake our homes otherwise.  A man who seeks trust and friendship would respond when a horde is at our gates. One never asks for financial rewards in exchange for friendship, nor in exchange for others trusting them to not cut while holding a blade to their throats."
Tysha
Tysha
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Valdir Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:13 am

Valdir, now visibly offended, rose from his seat.

"An Amalan scam? The original purpose of defending the north? Are you mad, or just narcissistic?

The treasury was to benefit the entire steppe, which meant that a great deal should be spend on the mystmountain threat, yes. But don't come here with yet more baseless slander when you have failed to support the Clarion Call or the other lords of the Steppe by disrupting a chain of watchtowers. You'd think someone who thinks she has proven herself beyond the other lords present today would stop with this nonsensical slander."
Valdir
Valdir
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Tysha Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:24 am

Tysha sighed.

"Build watchtowers with what? I have less gold than any lord of this steppe, and the Mystmountain Stronghold less than a days march from my castle. I support the Clarion Call's mission, but the few troops they can offer are of less use than equipping my own levies. Before you accuse me of slander again, remember that this so-called Governor has not built a camp for the Clarion Call. It is for such reasons that I have -calculated- that it is not beneficial to pay for watchtowers. More over, we've not even discussed the budget of the Treasury yet, I will pay no taxes if the budget is not presented and approved by this Council."
Tysha
Tysha
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Valdir Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:30 am

"You talk of slander, not against Count Everard, but against me. If you had wished to built a watchtower you needed only to say so and I would've paid for it. Just like I used the treasury to pay the Adalhard fine, but here I am, accused of running and Amalan scam. "

Valdir looked at Tysha in disgust before he sat down again.
Valdir
Valdir
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Tysha Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:33 am

Tysha rolled her eyes.

"This -is- a scam. We have no budget for the treasury, you pay a small fraction of Watchtowers and issue loans to Marleons rather than rebuild the Steppe. Amelion demands he have the right to pay half taxes if he sends troops to hold blades to our throats. One more insult from you, Bazzano, and I shall condemn this Council as a breeding ground for lowly serfs, whoremongers, and cowards."
Tysha
Tysha
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Valdir Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:39 am

"This is ridiculous. Very well, I shall not nominate myself for another term as treasurer. Let this madwoman ruin the steppe with her pretentious nonsense."

Getting up again, Valdir smacked the scrolls regarding the treasury on the table.

"If that's all, self-obsessed 'marshall'?"

With angry footsteps Valdir removed himself from the council chambers and left Marleons with his retinue.
Valdir
Valdir
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Tysha Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:43 am

Tysha rose, rather calmly, with her notes and the Marshal's Baton.

"I recognize no edicts of this Council. It is not a meeting ground of equals for the business of the Steppe, but an attempt to trade favors and levy insults upon those who have bled for the Steppe. I recall the faces of your dead, Count Margrove. They fought boldly beside the faces of Countess McCulloch's soldiers, and the rightly-guided Order of the Clarion Call. Two Counts are no longer with us, but the soldiers now led by the Bishop died the same as those flanking with Count Corax and Azar Zahr Bey. Count Vaaron would not stand for this conduct by new men, and nor shall I. I return to my duties at Evasolde for the remainder of the season."

She left the meeting room without another pause.
Tysha
Tysha
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordred Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:51 am

Eadburga let out a deep rumble of a chuckle.

"Had I known of the entertainment this gathering provides, then I may have paid the price of admission simply for that... The theatre could learn a thing or two from the dramatics of the so-called nobility present here."
Mordred
Mordred
King
King

Character sheet
Character Name: Mordred Adalhard
Counties Ruled: All of them

https://aftermathreborn.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Nickolas Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:18 am

Count Lane simply shook his head at the debacle in the council chambers. When Valdir and Tysha departed, he breathed a sigh of relief.

"So that our previous Treasurer and Marshall have departed, perhaps we could actually accomplish more instead of participating in a bar brawl of insults."

Simon withdrew another flask from his person and drank a little before continuing.

"In interests of keeping the council moving forward, I will go ahead and make my points.

Count Everard, while I am sure you have good intentions for sending additional forces to defend the northern border, I am confident we can handle what comes our way. Yes, the border may buckle on the rare occasion, but thus far there is no reason to to rally forces to bolster the northern defenses. The southern lords have obstacles of their own to overcome, and the current best way to support the border defense is to simply construct Watchtowers and Reserve Camps in the Steppe.

Trust is not easily earned here in the Steppe, and even past allies can become enemies in an instant, even with a mere slip of tongue.

Also, brother Rolando. As a fellow Astraean, I welcome your company in the Steppe, yet I can not help but notice that many of the arguments in this chamber have been instigated by your comments. Your points are valid, yes, and the situation here is rather volatile. I just rather not have the council turn into a verbal brawl again in the future.

Now, if I remember correctly, several more concerns still need to be heard or discussed. Both Treasurer and Marshall positions must be voted upon, and the is the matter of the Cease-Fire I have suggested earlier. If there are no other concerns, perhaps we should move onto these topics?"

The count then took a more relaxed position in his seat. Is it starting to become a running gag that the warrior, who casually drinks ale almost wherever he is and who lives in a so called "isolated county", is the one of the most active participates, if not the most active of them all?

Simon Lane is going to need more flasks before this is all over...
Sir Nickolas
Sir Nickolas
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name: Simon Lane
Counties Ruled: 18 (Duskfall Sanctuary)

Back to top Go down

Post by Tysha Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:23 am

An unsmiling man in the same attire as Tysha had worn, although less grand and without the baton, silently took the Marshal's seat without any gestures towards any of those present. He set himself up with an in ink pot and began to write.
Tysha
Tysha
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordred Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:00 am

Another loud sniff heralded Florian's return to the meeting. Without a glance at the others, he went straight over to the governor, and whispered something in his ear.

Everard looked up in surprise at the words, and looked immediately at the door. With another glance at the fat courtier he rose and left the room hurriedly. 

Florian took his place, and shuffled some of the papers before him, casting a cursory look through them.

"I am afraid the governor has been called away by the Duke, and as we lack protocols in such a situation, I have deemed it proper that I take over chair of this meeting" he said without looking up. Pausing at a sheet near the end, he read it more carefully, nodding to himself as he did so. 

"Next on the agenda would appear to be the election for Marshall and Treasurer. Do we have any nominations?" he said finally looking up at the remaining nobility.
Mordred
Mordred
King
King

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Nickolas Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:10 am

Simon Lane gave his nominations.

"I nominate myself for Treasurer and Countless Laisha as Marshall."
Sir Nickolas
Sir Nickolas
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name: Simon Lane
Counties Ruled: 18 (Duskfall Sanctuary)

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychozoa Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:16 am

"Well, this escalated rather quickly. I don't anything against you two being Treasurer or Marshall but for the sake of voting I nominate myself as Treasurer. Count Lane you have my vote for the Marshall."

Psychozoa
Psychozoa
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name: Vincent Margrove
Counties Ruled: Hex 21, Silverwood Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolando Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:44 am

The Bishop frowned. He had taken the time to write something on a piece of parchment after Countess Abaddon and Count Bazzano left the Council chambers, but remained quiet for several more moments.

"I apologize once again, fellow Lords of the Steppe, but with the absence of two lords whom are both my neighbors and friends, I am uncomfortable with further participation on this Council."

The Barclayan sighed, looking rather dismayed.

"This has also inadvertently weakened the voice of the North. I trust that none of you would take advantage of this, but that imbalance exists nonetheless. To make matters worse, I may be partly responsible for instigating this, which I deeply regret."

"I must withdraw from this meeting."

Rolando stood from his seat and walked out of the Council chambers. Mere minutes later, the Bishop's sergeant-at-arms entered, dressed in more formal attire than his usual Barclayan armor, and assumed Rolando's seat. The man immediately began to take notes.

Rolando
Renowned
Renowned

Character sheet
Character Name: Rolando Juárez
Counties Ruled: Walden, Hex 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Tysha Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:53 am

The Sheriff of Evasolde, with a scowl still on his face, spoke quietly towards the new Chairman.

"The Lady of Evasolde will want the minutes of this meeting."

He then went back to his own paper, which was now filled with inked letters.
Tysha
Tysha
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordred Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:57 am

"Then you shall have to provide them, sir." Florian fixed the speaker with a glare and a sniff.

"I am not a pretty scribe, here at the behest of any common soldier because his mistress was unable to keep her temper in check. I feel obliged to remind you all that you are lords and ladies of the realm, or their representatives. Here to see to the management and development of a region granted to you by the Crown."
Mordred
Mordred
King
King

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pravenstern Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:29 am

Count Corax agitatedly rubbed his scarred forehead with two fingers. Sometimes, he wondered if he was the most sane of the Northern lords, which was saying something when you considered the mannerisms of the 'Raven Lord'. With a gruff voice he spoke again after the long silence of following the bicker.

"...How the lot of you manage to turn a simple council meeting into a circus is beyond me... Anyhow, I nominate myself for Treasurer."

The count's fingers moved from his forehead to his chin which he scratched thoughtfully.
Pravenstern
Pravenstern
Eminent
Eminent

Character sheet
Character Name: Quiris Corax
Counties Ruled: Hex 13, Ravenfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordred Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:42 am

OOC:

Simon Lane is duly elected Treasurer now. I'll fill in as Everard, so please make any suggestions for spending policy, and I will respond as best as I can in that capacity.

Laisha also won the Marshall vote, so temporarily gets 2 units of Men at Arms and the Marshall Quirk.
92/100 Men at Arms (RPA)
91/100 Men at Arms (RPA)

Further the proposed Tax Bill amendment was voted to be scrapped entirely.

The offensive Sieges are to take 2 turns. On the first the besiegers set up, and on the 2nd the battle occurs until there is a 75% margin of victory for either side.

Political Vassalisation has been delayed until a later Council session.

Steppe Treasury loans to Marleons have been sanctioned, at an interest of 5%.
Mordred
Mordred
King
King

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3