Duskfall Sanctuary [Hex 18]

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Sir Nickolas on Wed Jul 10, 2013 6:47 am

"...Duskfall Sanctuary. It is a place far in Eastern Pendor, situated just north of the Poinsbruk river.

It is a small village, the only real structures of note are the Count's Manor and a small chapel to Astraea. Originally, it served as a small retreat for the House of Lane, as their main bastion was further to the north. However, their ancestral home was overrun decades ago, forcing the remnants of the proud people south to the Sanctuary.

I've been there only once. Simon Lane, the current head of the Lane dynasty, rules over Duskfall Sanctuary. His people still carry the warrior spirit of their ancestors, and they yearn to take back their rightful home. The women there are just at proficient at war as their male counterparts; I remember seeing Simon's daughter wielding her father's battle axe and cleaving a training dummy in two.

The chapel, while small, is guarded by the devoted of Astraea. Tristan Wynn was the name of one of these guardians, and he is a paladin in almost every sense of the word. He leads his lord's men in battle, and while at home he preaches to the masses, instilling hope among the people. The citizens of Duskfall attend a service each week, ministered by Tristan Wynn.

The manor itself consists of two floors with two extra wings attached the main hall. The main hall has an open layout, the path leading to the main stairwell in the center being clear. Two massive statues flank the stairs, the left depicting an armored swordsman rallying behind his shield while the right shows an archer aiming at the heavens. Chairs and tables were arranged to the side of the main hall, before the staircase. Above the stairs were the royal chambers, two rooms for the lord and his lady and another for their children.

The East Wing served as a museum of sorts, showing off the craftsmanship of the House of Lane with wooden displays depicting various statues or scenes. The treasury was located on the upper floor of the East Wing. The West Wing served as guest and servant quarters, with the servants being on the first floor with the guests receiving the second..."

At that moment, a merchant in the crowd inquired, "How did you even discover, much less stay, in Duskfall Sanctuary? It is not on any major road, and they had a tendency to turn down foreigners. I even offered them some of my wares, and even at a heavily discounted price they would not even let me in!"

The aged, weary knight simply replied, "I wandered the lands of Pendor for years, before and after I was stationed here. I came across Count Lane while he was hunting, and he offered me to join him at his estate."

Another patron at the tavern asked, "Are you going to continue your stay here in Yaragar? You know the soldiers and I enjoy swapping tales of Kelredan."

"I'm afraid not. Before I left Duskfall, Simon offered me a home there. I intend to accept his offer."

The soldier sat there, thinking it over. At last, he let out a sigh, "All right. Just remember, you'll have a home here in Yaragar. The boys and I don't care what everyone else thinks of you; you'll still our commander, Sir Nickolas."

The knight simply returned a smile before finishing his tankard. With a heavy heart, Nickolas Ballard left the tavern of Yaragar for the last time. As he mounted his warhorse, Nickolas recalled a fond memory of that establishment. His men were there, celebrating over some event or another, and two knights challenged each other to an arm wrestling contest...

He smiled faintly at the memory, before setting his course to Eastern Pendor...

Counties: Duskfall Sanctuary (Hex 18)

Biography Link // Orders & Meta Data: Link

"They have taken our lands and battered our mortal shells, but they will never take away our spirit of war!" - Count Simon Lane

Sir Nickolas
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name: Simon Lane
Counties Ruled: 18 (Duskfall Sanctuary)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Duskfall Sanctuary [Hex 18]

Post by Sir Nickolas on Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:21 am

Week 1

Tristan Wynn oversaw the training of the bowmen. One hundred men strong, they have to learn the art of the bow instead of simply wielding pitchforks and other minor weaponry.

Simon Lane was away attending a feast to learn the new notable persons of the Steppes. Tristan Wynn and the Council of Lane have suggested him to go, these new environments required much caution in the wake of so many new neighbors.

The paladin then looked to the north. The Mystmountains must be content with their new lands, raiding small villages and the like without concern of danger. Tristan hoped to change that.

"Men, keep up the training! We will be going on a field assignment soon. Let us pay a visit to the innocents of the North and show the Mystmountains the might of the House of Lane!"

The bowmen in training cheered, and then were ushered on to continue their practice. However, Tristan knew he could not charge in with newly trained soldiers, he would be needing allies to help in the cause.

He turned to the west. Ravenfort, ruled by Count Quiris Corax, was one of the neighbors of Duskfall Sanctuary. Tristan had heard stories about the Count, and how he and the Mystmountains did not get along. Perhaps, Tristan wondered, the mutual hatred of the Mystmountains could be a bridge to an alliance?

The Astraean man fetched a squire to grab a quill, ink, and parchment. Tristan quickly wrote down a request and sent it on its way to Ravenfort.

The Letter:
Greetings, Count Corax.

I am Tristan Wynn, a captain of Count Lane, your isolated neighbor to the east. While no doubt you may be attending other matters when this letter arrives, I hope to make an offer that you would accept.

It would be unwise to raid one of the estates ruled over by a fellow noble of the Steppes, so I have taken up the task of training my men for a small expedition up north. We will be raiding in Mystmountain territory.

As you may well know, it is said that the Mystmountains are somewhat fortified. I extend an offer for our forces to work together as we raid the Mystmountains, and the spoils are to be split evenly among our armies.

We will be attacking the Mystmountains just north of your estate. I hope you decide to join us.

Tristan Wynn

"They have taken our lands and battered our mortal shells, but they will never take away our spirit of war!" - Count Simon Lane

Sir Nickolas
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Pravenstern on Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:36 am

Spoiler:
Greetings Knight Wynn

Your suggestion has been heard, and I have found it most reasonable. Coincidentally, I was planning to raid the area myself, so joining forces seems only natural in the light of your letter. The Mystmountainees are experieced from the war, and a small force stands ill chance of winning against them. Joining forces makes the chances of success increase significantly.

The troops of Ravenfort will meet you in the field. Until then, Sir-Knight.

Signed, Count Quiris Corax

Pravenstern
Eminent
Eminent

Character sheet
Character Name: Quiris Corax
Counties Ruled: Hex 13, Ravenfort

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Nickolas on Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:32 am

Week 2

Simon Lane arrived back in Duskfall Sanctuary after his attendance at the Northern Summit. Tristan was there to welcome him.

"Greetings milord. How did the summit go?"

"Remind me not to trust noble women. Other than that, it was fairly uneventful, save for a paranoid Countess weeping about the prospect of being invaded."

"Sir, there are rumors of a Mystmountain Army. Perhaps we should not take her words lightly."

"True or not, I do not see the nobles of the Steppe having enough manpower to contain the threat. Are we to rush in with nothing with mere peasants? It would take months to build up a proper army to combat it, and that is if we focused solely on the Mystmountains. There are many other factors at play here, and I believe she fails to realize that."

Tristan then pulled out a letter, sealed with a symbol of a lion.

"Then I suppose you are not interested in this letter?"

"That daughter of a... Give it here."

Tristan hands the letter to his lord and the warrior quickly scans through it. After reading it, he tosses it aside.

"Damn it all. She intends to call the entire Steppe to fight against them. Numbers alone mean nothing if there are no proper soldiers in the army!"

"Our orders, sir?"

Simon stood there, fire in his eyes.

"Let her have her little invasion. We must prepare our own forces.

At the summit, I remember Quiris may have another independent expedition to the north. I extended an offer to assist him if need be. This, as well as defending Duskfall, is our priority.

I know not of how many southern lords will respond to the call, but I hope two of them may come to see reason."

With that, Count Lane went into his personal manor and started writing. Even though it may be at a bad time, this meeting was long overdue.

He sent letters to both Count Everald and Count Vincent, two Astraeans nobles who have settled in the area somewhat recently. Simon hoped that they would respond...

Sir Nickolas
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Nickolas on Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:18 am

Week 2:

It has been a day since the Astraean summit. Simon Lane was dressed in simple furs, designed to protect against the cold winds of the North. He was at the site where the trio met, sitting on a lone wooden chair resting on a miniature cliff facing the river.

The river itself was a soothing sight, water gently washing over the rocks as it flowed as it pleased. Flanking the river on both sides were forest, so the the warrior maintained some privacy here in this natural wonder. The wind sang softly with the leaves, and the sun shined so brightly on the land below. It was beautiful as the day before.

Tristan Wynn arrived at Simon's secluded refuge.

"Sir, have you changed the orders? I was to ride to Ravenfort today to assist Count Corax and his diversion."

"Aye, I have. He never responded to my offer to assist, so thus I have withdrawn you from his assault. Even if it comes now, you know the orders."

"Yes milord, we shall raid Mystmountain lands while you cast your vengeance on Hernando. However, what of next month? The Steppe forces will be assaulting Poinsbruk."

"Have faith, Paladin of Astraea. It will all come together in time. Attend to the chapel, I foresee the men wanting a blessing before combat."

Captain Wynn saluted, "Of course sir."

Before Wynn could depart however, Simon interrupted him. He pulled out a small scrap of parchment and gave it to the paladin, and then sent him on his way.

As the young marshall left the refuge, a small smile crawled up to his face...

Sir Nickolas
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Nickolas on Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:48 pm

Week 3: The Consequences of Mortal Souls

Duskfall Sanctuary became anything but a sanctuary. Last month, it was raided by the accursed Mystmountains, massacring those who dared to stand up and fight against them. Perhaps it would be better to leave it defenseless, handing over what they wanted instead of trying to defend it...

The arrival of Tristan Wynn from his expedition did not help the atmosphere. He lost over one hundred men in Mystmountain territory; no doubt they decided to reinforce the position after the raid the month before. The paladin withdrew from battle during these trying times, instead turning to administer his services as a priest to the people.

Simon Lane's reprisal against Hernando was successful, the only operation that would be. Even so, his people have suffered against these odds. Count Lane ordered the closure of borders, seeing that he had no real gain from these traders from the outside world. In addition, he sent back the ten gold he received from Everard. The intent from the gift could no longer be fulfilled, and the count had no desire to be in debt to his fellow Astraean.

The warrior sat once more near the river, the soothing melody of water perhaps being the only instrument to bring clarity and calm to a tormented soul. Once, at this very spot, he had discussed plans to join the assault on Poinsbruk. Simon's forces would have moved out this very day, and would flank the Mystmountains and catch them, as well as the Steppe forces, unaware. Alas, it could not be so. When the warrior returned home from his vengeful crusade, Duskfall Sanctuary was littered with corpses. 

These brave men and women, armed with mere pitchforks, scythes, and knives, fighting against the Mystmountains. The expedition north, filled with young hopefuls who wanted to reclaim their true home, slain. Families mourned for their losses, cursing Astraea for their plight. It seemed the people of Duskfall would be trapped here for eternity...

Even if Simon could go back in time, it would make no difference. The original plan was to send Tristan to assist Count Quiris Corax while Simon would go forth and raid Hernando. However, during the Astraean summit the warrior conjured a plan to go raiding initially to gather resources, and then attempt a flanking maneuver in Poinsbruk after a forced march. Only three lords would have known of his involvement beforehand. After the campaign, however, the consequences of these mortal souls would likely be death by the remnants of the horde. The Guardians of Duskfall would probably never return from the expedition.

How can a man go forth to fight a war, only to return to ruins and devastation? In the tales bards spin, honor and glory were to be had on the fields of battle. The truth was far from it, but no one would realize that until it was far too late.

The weary warrior returned to his manor, heading to his makeshift study in the east wing of the house. He began to write to Count Everard, Count Vincent, and Count Quiris. It spoke of how plans have changed once more, Duskfall Sanctuary must be protected first and foremost before charging into any campaign. He addressed the gift from Count Everard, and stated that his services as a temporary captain was no longer needed. To Quiris, Simon sent a small wooden figurine as well as a note stating that his forgetfulness may have actually proved to be a boon for the people of Duskfall. Simon wished the best of luck to each in their tasks.

As Count Lane laid back in his chair, finished from writing the letters, he began to think over the plans for this month. He remembered the offer by the Clarion Call, and sent resources to build the watchtower to protect the northern border. Simon himself would raid Hernando's territory once more to gain resources to assist with the reconstruction, and perhaps serve as an outlet for his men and himself.

The path to home will be a long and perilous journey. The only question that remained, however, is if anyone would be alive to see it...

Sir Nickolas
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Nickolas on Tue Aug 13, 2013 3:57 am

Week 6: Chronicles of Duskfall

"...Duskfall has been busy these past few weeks. Simon Lane, having felt vengeance has been paid to his neighbor Hernando to the south, turned his eyes once again northward. The warrior looked toward Ismirala. Once, it was a prosperous village with tales of a legendary warrior who would train those who would listen in his personal training grounds far to the southwest. Now, it is infested with Mystmountains who now occupy the ruins of Castle Alden.

We have raided the Mystmountains repeatedly during these weeks, securing supplies for our own and making our names known to the people of the North. Our military is steadily growing and Simon Lane had ordered a Stockade to be build to help with the defense. The Clarions patrol the area, mainly keeping to themselves, but the man at the Watchtower always converses with the people here. I remember he even gave some of the children some sweets one time. I hope that Astraea watches over him, he deserves more than to be a simple watchman.

Count Lane is discussing plans for one final push toward Alden Castle. He has heard rumors of the Mystmountains starting to gather there due to our interference. Simon wants to secure as many supplies as possible and thin their numbers before withdrawing back to Duskfall. There are two fresh units of militia, but the reports on the health and status of four others still remain rather uncertain. After this assault, Duskfall Sanctuary will probably take a short hiatus to rebuild and regroup our forces before turning our attention back northward.

Ah, before I forget. During the second Council session, our Count decided to run for the Treasurer position. Of course, he did not win, and the people of Duskfall questioned his decision. Personally, I can see why he did it. The defense of the North, or at least a part of it, was our heritage. We would be carrying out some of our ancestor's legacy while gaining some respect from the masses. If only our isolationist tendencies didn't work against us during these times..."

Sir Nickolas
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Nickolas on Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:15 am

Week 11: Chronicles of Duskfall II

Underneath the starry skies of Duskfall Tristan Wynn rode out from the sanctuary. There was a small nook along the river's edge, just opposite of the famed cliff known to hold meetings, within the caress of a great pine tree. It was one of the oldest trees in the land, and it was the very location where Tristan's mother and father first met. Now, it served as a place of solitude and rest for the weary paladin.

As the man settled in, he pulled out some parchment alongside his writing utensils. It has been some time since he last wrote, being engulfed in some matter or another. The assault on castle Alden was a success, and during the brief period of peace both he and Simon went out on adventure...

"... I remember those days, the days where Simon would lead me out into the wilderness, teaching him the wonders of nature and the thrill of exploration. He was a young man back then, and I was just a mere child learning the ways of the world.

He taught me to appreciate the smaller things in life, those what are normally overlooked in this day and age. One may glance quickly at the setting sun to only flee quickly home, while Simon and I would linger and observe how the light plays with the landscapes before finally fading into dark of night.

Both of us are now older, I a paladin of Astraea and Simon the count of Duskfall, both of us yearned for an escape from the madness of the Eastern Steppe. After the assault on Alden, Simon and I set forth on adventure once again..."

"... Luck was on our side during a routine liberation of supplies, but the subsequent attempt was foiled miserably. Our scouts reported no activity, and thus we went northward again only to find the Mystmountains swelling in numbers. It is likely they are starting to take our raids seriously, and we can no longer idly liberate their supplies.

Some of the soldiers were murmuring that perhaps another horde was gathering. Extra resistance at the border between the Steppe and Mystmountain territory is to be expected, but a part of me wonders if we should investigate these sudden reinforcements.

As of present, Simon is focusing his efforts on lending aid to Marleons and fortifying our position at Duskfall. From what he has gathered, the nobles of the Steppe seek to return to the traditions of raiding and fighting amongst themselves. Should this be true, we must be on watch from not only the Mystmountains and Hernando, but perhaps even our respected neighbor Quiris Corax. I pray our average status, our isolationist traditions, and our defense of the border will be enough to discourage those who wish to move against us.

Knowing Simon Lane, should he be bothered from his task, he will retaliate. Hernando was the first to offend him. Who else will disturb the warrior of the north?"

Sir Nickolas
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down