Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Eastern Council : Session One

+6
Shadow-Seeker
Sir Nickolas
Vealdis
Tysha
Valdir
Mordred
10 posters

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Eastern Council : Session One - Page 3 Empty Re: The Eastern Council : Session One

Post by Vealdis Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:59 pm

''Count Lane, even if we sent every soldier in the East up North, we might still be outnumbered. Unless you have a map that says how many Mystmountains are where, such an action would be foolish.''
Vealdis
Vealdis
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name: Vealdis Hullcleaver
Counties Ruled:

Back to top Go down

The Eastern Council : Session One - Page 3 Empty Re: The Eastern Council : Session One

Post by Psychozoa Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:08 pm

Vincent Margrove sat silent throughout most of the meeting, he still was in a bad mood and so only listened. As he heard the other counts talk and argue a smile came to his face, and finally when a short pause came he stood up to speak.

"I support the building of the watchtowers as well, if not by Gold then at least with manpower or protection. My forces will be at the service of any good and loyal Lord who needs them."

"I furthermore think that the east is in good hands, some of you may see this bickering and arguing as a bad behavior, but I think it shows that every single one of these fine lords present, care about their people and the land. Each in their own way but each with a passion that I thought long lost. "

Vincent sat down but then quickly added something towards Sir du Pont.

"If the Clarion Call ever happens to pass by my lands be advised that you are always welcome. I will tell my people to always keep extra provisions in their homes should you or your men need them."
Psychozoa
Psychozoa
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name: Vincent Margrove
Counties Ruled: Hex 21, Silverwood Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Pravenstern Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:13 pm

Quiris listened to everything that was said intently. His gruff answer was rather obvious and short.

"I too will support the Clarion Call in a manner they see fit."
Pravenstern
Pravenstern
Eminent
Eminent

Character sheet
Character Name: Quiris Corax
Counties Ruled: Hex 13, Ravenfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordred Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:51 pm

"Then I thank you all for your support. I will have some plans drawn up for the watchtowers and reserve camps, and sent to you when they are done"

Vincent straightened from his slouch, and moved around the dais once more, saying to the chairman as he passed,

"Florian, if you would be so kind as to add the suggestion of the scouting party to the votes at the end of the meeting, that too would be appreciated. It could well reveal more insights as to the plans of the barbarians, and most importantly their willingness to press forward in another invasion. I shall leave those details to this council to decide."

He then gathered up what papers were in his place, straightened them by banging the sheafs on the table, and made for the door.

"Now, ladies, gentlemen, if you would excuse me I will see to those designs."

Florian bent his head as he scribbled a note on a piece of parchment with a nod to the back of the retreating Clarion Call, then faced the Council once more.

"I suspect that concludes the defensive talks, now I do believe my other companion wishes to say something."

With this the other burly man rose to his feet, taking his cap off as he did so and twisting it between his hands with a broad smile.

"My friends! I am indeed but a humble merchant and am honoured to find myself at such an esteemed gathering” he spoke with a powerful voice, his arms outspread in welcome.

"My name, as you should know from your summons, is Aelfrid Laurence and I represent the interests of the East Pendor Trading Company"

He paused a moment, his earlier smile fading and he turned serious, with his arms crossing across his body, nodding as he spoke further.

“While the good people of the Steppe have indeed suffered during the arduous war, it was trade and commerce which were the true victim. Merchants have fled for safer markets, labourers find new products, and the peasants go unclothed. But now! Now that the fighting has stopped we are keen to expand our routes through these lovely lands once more.”

Once again his demeanour changed, and his eyes became sad and pleading, while his arms dropped by his sides.

“We seek investment, from you the gracious Nobility to make this happen, and I can assure you that such generosity will not go unrewarded! Traders will flock to your lands, and you may reap the rewards of their sales. Where commerce flows, prosperity follows!”
Mordred
Mordred
King
King

Character sheet
Character Name: Mordred Adalhard
Counties Ruled: All of them

https://aftermathreborn.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Valdir Thu Jul 11, 2013 11:55 pm

"What kind of investment?"

Count Valdir had asked almost immediately, although he didn't show it, he never quite trusted merchants. Some would sooner bankrupt the poor villages than to let them profit in the mercantile boost.

Last edited by Valdir on Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Valdir
Valdir
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet
Character Name: Valdir Bazzano
Counties Ruled: Talon March [4]

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow-Seeker Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:14 am

"Greetings Aelfrid, and honor to your company. I am interested in this 'investment'. Would your company be asking for gold, or perhaps other resources for this endeavor?"
Shadow-Seeker
Shadow-Seeker
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name:
Counties Ruled:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vealdis Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:26 am

Vealdis rises from his seat, he smiles to Aelfrid.

''The East Pendor Trading Company used to represent commerce and trade in thse part and are well known by my family. I will support your endeavors however I can. A merchant must help out another merchant, when coin for both is involved. How can I be at your service, my good man?''
Vealdis
Vealdis
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Counties Ruled:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tysha Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:47 am

Tysha leaned forward a bit, towards the merchant.

"House Abaddon would gladly support the Company. Our lands are overcrowded, however. We've no gold to spare, as the defense of the land requires it all. Even that defense, such as these watchtowers or the reserve, is not fully within our grasp. What is it the Company requires of us?"
Tysha
Tysha
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet
Character Name: Tysha Abaddon
Counties Ruled: Hex 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordred Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:23 am

"The nature of the investment, is up to your particular desires and interests" Aelfrid said with a smile.

"There are a number of suggestions that spring to mind," he continued, "however I am but a humble merchant, and I am sure the high intellects arrayed before me can be far more creative than I"

He paused a moment to scratch his head, eyes wandering up to the ceiling as he considered the options.

"Most obvious would be to set up trade posts in the county, this would certainly attract wandering traders to your lands. Alternatively one could elect to hold market days for your peasants to sell their own wares. Of course direct subsidies would be very happily received, and would provide an example of your dedication to the cause of commerce."

There was another pause, as he scratched his chin while considering. It was increasingly clear that this man had a love of the dramatic, as he continued fairly quickly.

"Another possibility would be to open your borders freely to caravans and other travellers, or finally a more vigorous campaign of patrolling to dissuade brigands for those more inclined to be active..."

He shrugged as he sat again.

"It really depends on what resources you have, and how you want to use them. Create possibilities and the merchants will come to seize them, of that I can promise you."
Mordred
Mordred
King
King

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Vealdis Fri Jul 12, 2013 3:45 am

''Very good my friend. I will make sure that commerce will flow within my boundaries. I know what must be done about the matter.''
Vealdis
Vealdis
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Counties Ruled:

Back to top Go down

Post by Laisha Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:13 am

Laisha smiled in spite of herself.  The show of support for the Clarion Call was heartening to her.  With so few knight in the land, they would need all the members they could get.  

She regarded the merchant after impassively.  She had always left business to the merchants, satisfied that they could handle business better than she could.
 "I would most certainly be willing to open my borders to trade," she remarked.  "Keeping the routes safe should not be much trouble either.  I've help stop my fair share of bandits in my life."
Laisha
Laisha
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name: Laisha McCulloch
Counties Ruled: North Silverwood, 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Nickolas Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:14 am

Count Lane sat back in his chair, occupied with deep thought. Early expansions would not be possible at this stage, and the council shot down his offensive maneuver in favor of simply poking around in the dark.

However, deep down, Simon knew his fellow nobles were right. Charging blindly forward into Mystmountain territory was a bad idea. He stared at the ceiling, eyes locked on the shifting flames of the chandelier. The North would not be won overnight, and it currently can not be won with force. If this is how the council wishes to work, then the North shall be won with slow determination.

At that moment, one of the candles was snuffed out. The warrior remembered that he himself was living on borrowed time, a man only lives for so long. Taking back home may not even occur during his lifetime, and he did not wish to start making enemies for his family, and more importantly, his daughter, to handle when he's gone from the world.

War and crusading will have to wait. Duskfall Sanctuary and the House of Lane must be built up to handle the the monumental task of returning home. The question is, does Simon continue to act independently or work with the Council?...

The warrior then came back to reality, and responded to the merchant matter. His demeanor was considerably different from his outburst previously.

"We shall open our borders for travel and keep patrols up when we are able. Anything more than that I cannot say."
Sir Nickolas
Sir Nickolas
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name: Simon Lane
Counties Ruled: 18 (Duskfall Sanctuary)

Back to top Go down

Post by Pravenstern Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:24 am

Again, Quiris added two cents into the conversation without other signs of opinion apparent in his body movement.

"Ravenfort will open the area fully to travel as soon as the defences have been properly created. As of now, open travel isn't safe or feasible due to the unknown plans of Mystmountainees. Patrols will be created at first opportunity."
Pravenstern
Pravenstern
Eminent
Eminent

Character sheet
Character Name: Quiris Corax
Counties Ruled: Hex 13, Ravenfort

Back to top Go down

Post by Andros Vaaron Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:47 am

From his position behind his lord's empty chair, Godwin scanned the merchant skeptically as he spoke his piece. Waiting to gauge the reactions of the others, he finally spoke up.

"Your proposals seem most reasonable in my eyes, and should be welcomed eagerly by my Lord Andros and our people. I will speak favourably of your intentions when I relay my report to his lordship"

For now anyway. He then allowed his gaze to fall upon Count Vincent, who had spoken but a brief moment ago. He studied the man carefully, before grunting quietly to himself and refocused his attention upon the speaker.
Andros Vaaron
Andros Vaaron
Renowned
Renowned

Character sheet
Character Name: Andros Varron
Counties Ruled: Hex 10 (Southrun County)

Back to top Go down

Post by Tysha Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:55 am

Tysha nodded to the merchant, and allowed others to speak first.

"I will of course open my lands to the Company, once I've ensured the safety of your property will be guaranteed."
Tysha
Tysha
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow-Seeker Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:31 am

"The hills of Isenfeld will be safe for all traders to pass through."
Shadow-Seeker
Shadow-Seeker
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name:
Counties Ruled:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valdir Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:19 am

"Traders have always been welcome, but I'll do my best to guarantee their safety in the march."

Protecting traders in your own county should have been a mandatory duty, so Valdir had felt little to speak up only to make that statement. However, since the other Counts spoke up to say something so meaningless, he couldn't stay behind.
Valdir
Valdir
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordred Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:25 am

"Well, it's great to hear all the support being offered to the merchants, I am sure that the traders will be pleased, and commerce will prosper as a result!" Aelfrid grinned, spreading his arms wide once more, and replacing the cap on his head.

"Think that's about all I had to say on the matter, they're all yours again Sir Florian!" 

Florian sniffed as the merchant sat once again, wrinkling his nose as he himself rose to his feet once again.

"Jolly good, well then I guess the next thing for debate is how this Council itself will function. You have before you the decrees and commandments regulating its inner workings. Have you anything more to add to that, or any queries?"
Mordred
Mordred
King
King

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychozoa Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:21 pm

Vincent cleared his throat before he stood up. He first looked to the Merchant and talked to him.

"First of all, of course our Borders are as well open for trade and commerce. You are always welcome in my lands."

Vincent bowed a little and turned to Florian.

"Thank you for the time and effort you put into this. It is really appreciated. And now I would like to propose a decree. The defense in the north is very important to the well being of the steppes, but we cannot put this burden upon the shoulders of the Lords of the north or the ones who are rich enough to help them. I say everyone has to help. And therefore I say a new Tax is enforced for every Lord equal to a fifth of their income. This money is then transferred to the council. From this money the Watchtowers could be payed, mercenaries could be bought in the event of an invasion, or property could be rebuild if it is destroyed by a storm or flood or through raids."

"What do you say?"
Psychozoa
Psychozoa
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name: Vincent Margrove
Counties Ruled: Hex 21, Silverwood Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Valdir Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:37 am

Valdir, upon hearing the words of Count Vincent, raised from his seat.

"Count Vincent, I like the idea. However, some may be too impoverished by the war to happily put a new a tax at the top of their list. Perhaps, we could vote on the matter, but not enforce the extra taxation until after our second council session?"

He then looked at Quiris Corax, Simon Lane, Tysha Abaddon and Vealdis Hullcleaver each in turn.

"I am sure that those of us that have their holding closest to the Mystmountain threat, will appreciate the effort you made Vincent."
Valdir
Valdir
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Vealdis Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:47 am

Vealdis nods to Valdir and then to Vincent.

''We should indeed bring up that idea in a later council, when we have the coin to be spend in the first place. It is still a gesture that will not be forgotten, Count Margrove.''
Vealdis
Vealdis
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Counties Ruled:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tysha Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:50 am

Tysha scowled, at no one in particular, but concealed the expression after a moment.

"A reasonable and just proposal, my lord. Perhaps, Lord Griffon, we might discuss the election of the governor?"
Tysha
Tysha
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordred Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:57 am

Florian took another nosefull of snuff as the nobles were talking, and continued to sniff loudly throughout. 

"Well I am sure we can hold a vote on the matter of an extra taxes..." he wriggled his nose again as Tysha spoke, and nodded as she made her request.

"Reasonable. Very well then, at the moment the governor is elected by simple majority 24 hours before the Council Meeting, what changes would you propose?"
Mordred
Mordred
King
King

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Tysha Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:05 am

"If that is the case, I propose nothing. I do, however, support the tax. The north is vulnerable, while the south is defended only by our keeping the savages back. It is a matter of... justice."

Tysha sat back down.
Tysha
Tysha
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordred Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:13 am

Wiping his nose again as the Countess spoke, Florian narrowed his eyes at her reply.

"May I suggest that the honourable nobles present actually read the decrees and commandments in the packets provided before wasting more of the council's time?"

Once he had spoken, Florian clapped loudly and a servant entered the room quickly, and hurried to his side. Florian scratched a quick note and passed it to him. The server quickly hurried from the room once again.

A few minutes later, a line of men in Marleons heraldry filed in, placing a piece of paper with the vote before each noble, and waiting silently for the vote to be made and passed back to them, whereby they would place the ballot in a box made specially, and leave the room once more.
Mordred
Mordred
King
King

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next