Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Eastern Council: Session Two

+4
Psychozoa
Laisha
Sir Nickolas
Pravenstern
8 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Eastern Council: Session Two Empty The Eastern Council: Session Two

Post by Pravenstern Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:40 am

Decisions made:
- Tax rate for lords of steppe set to 10%, active from turn 5 onwards. Gold taken from wealth of the county (all traits that increase wealth increase the taxes too) and bureucrat quirk (if used). Independently Wealthy is not counted into this.
- Possible roles:
Spoiler:
- Quiris promises to write to the King on information regarding hostile actions against the barbarians.

Table of contents or agenda:
1.) The taxes of the Steppe
2.) The organization of the Steppe
3.) Individual concerns

-------------------------------------------------

A season after the last meeting between all of the lords of the Jatu Steppe, the city of Marleons bore the honour of their meeting once again. The charred remains of the city had seen great improvement from the rubble that covered the surface four months ago. Now the infrastructure of Marleons had started to rise to its old levels in the more wealthy areas. The poor were faring less well, and the people still were malnourished, but such was life in Eastern Pendor.

Inside the castle, life had returned to its usual way. Nobles walked in the halls of the pleasant and ornamented castle and seemed to have regained their usual grandeour. Several looked curiously at the arriving counts, as if contemplating their worth. Few looks lasted long, however.

In the meeting room itself, only Count Corax was sitting, in the governor’s chair. He was going through the parchments prepared for this meeting. In front of every seat was a small piece that listed their agenda for the meeting, and more parchment and ink for needs. The hosts had graciously prepared the refreshments for the high members of nobility.

OOC: The usual drill: arrive and sit down

Last edited by Pravenstern on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:21 am; edited 4 times in total
Pravenstern
Pravenstern
Eminent
Eminent

Character sheet
Character Name: Quiris Corax
Counties Ruled: Hex 13, Ravenfort

Back to top Go down

The Eastern Council: Session Two Empty Re: The Eastern Council: Session Two

Post by Sir Nickolas Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:58 am

Simon Lane was the first noble to arrive. After a quick survey of the chamber, he decided to sit at the same spot as he has done previously.

The warrior nodded to acknowledge Count Corax in the governor chair and then waited patiently for the others to arrive.
Sir Nickolas
Sir Nickolas
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name: Simon Lane
Counties Ruled: 18 (Duskfall Sanctuary)

Back to top Go down

Post by Laisha Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:14 am

Lady Laisha entered the chamber shortly after Count Lane.  She was dressed in a Clarion Call tabard and wore a ragged traveller's cloak.  She did not seem inclined to remove the latter.  Unlike the first meeting, she carried herself with an air of increased confidence, though she wasn't quite comfortable, yet.  Nodding to those present, she returned to her seat from the first meeting and waited.
Laisha
Laisha
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name: Laisha McCulloch
Counties Ruled: North Silverwood, 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychozoa Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:27 am

Vincent Margrove arrived just as Countess Laisha sat down. He looked around the room and then picked a seat.

"Greetings Governor, Count Lane, Countess Laisha"

He bowed a bit and then sat down to study the agenda, he took out a Quill and ink to scribble something down next to it.
Psychozoa
Psychozoa
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name: Vincent Margrove
Counties Ruled: Hex 21, Silverwood Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow-Seeker Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:51 am

Count Everard entered the council room. He studied it again, thinking that the time had passed rather quickly. He nodded towards the new governor

"Greetings everyone."

Everard took a seat at the table
Shadow-Seeker
Shadow-Seeker
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name:
Counties Ruled:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valdir Tue Aug 06, 2013 11:48 pm

A few minutes later, suprised that he wasn't the last to arrive, Count Valdir Bazzano entered the room with a few scrolls under his arm. He grinned at Count Quiris, saying, without the words, 'Long Live the Governor'. He sat down in the middle of the half-circled table and looked around at the nobles already present and nodded in the direction of Count Vincent, but ignored those that had not visited Talon March during the tourney.
Valdir
Valdir
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet
Character Name: Valdir Bazzano
Counties Ruled: Talon March [4]

Back to top Go down

Post by Pravenstern Wed Aug 07, 2013 5:28 am

Instead of Tysha Abaddon, a man in his early thirties and dressed in the robes of a priest of Eunomia Stabilitis sat in the seat reserved for her. His appearance clearly marked him as a relative, although the scar on his brow clashed with the priestly garb he wore.

Tyrek Abaddon rose slowly and paused a moment before he spoke.

"My Lords, allow me to introduce myself. My name is Tyrek, Bishop of Evasolde and anointed priest of Eunomia Stabilitis. Please excuse the absence of my sister the Countess, as she has urgent business with the court in Sarleon. I've been appointed as the representative of Evasolde in her place.

First, allow me to express my personal gratitude, and that of the peasants of Evasolde, for your courageous assault against the raider horde. While we all would have suffered had the horde invaded, it would have been Evasolde that suffered first. Your Lordships and captains displayed great valor, but also great wisdom and exceptional rulership in countering this threat before the damage was done.

In the matter of those that chose not to send troops, but rather to let the blood of others flow for their safety, the Countess wishes this Council not to act in revenge. These lords no doubt made the decision they felt was... in their best interests. Instead she calls on you, the Lords of the Steppe, to welcome them in friendship and honor. The imminent threat of war beyond our borders has passed, and we must not replace it with one inside our borders."

The Bishop delayed for a moment as he looked from lord to lord, and then sat down again.

OOC: I was supposed to put this up. I will start the meeting in a few hours.
Pravenstern
Pravenstern
Eminent
Eminent

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychozoa Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:33 am

Vincent couldn't help but smile at the Bishop. Just after he finished he looked into the faces of the others and then stood up as well.

"It is a shame that Lady Tysha wasn't able to join. It seems her relations to the higher nobility are more important to her than the well being of her people. I am sure that you as her representative know what she wants to achieve during this meeting but we as her equals might have things to discuss with her that might not even be for your ears."

"Again, it is a shame that she is not here, but her words in your voice with surely help us today."

Vincent then looked to the entrance to see if anyone else was coming, but then quickly sat down. He had expected more to come.
Psychozoa
Psychozoa
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Valdir Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:49 am

Valdir rose in quick reaction.

"I was under the impression Tysha the Lucky was facing charges for breaking the peace with the Mystmountain tribes. I'm sure that you'll agree, Count Margrove, that the King's command cannot be ignored."

Swiftly as he rose, he sat down again, his sly eyes focused on nothing in particular.
Valdir
Valdir
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pravenstern Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:10 am

As Count Bazzano sat down, Governor Corax coughed into his fist to get the attention of the participants. He gave the counts two seconds before he started to talk.

"And now that the time limit has passed, we may begin. Greetings to all of you who have arrived. Whilst the rate of participations below the expected, there is a sufficient number of us to vote on matters of the Steppe. Should the other lords arrive later, they are welcome to join us.

Now, as you may have noticed from your documents, the first paragraph on the list mentions taxes. A season ago we passed a tax on the steppe. 20% of the income each month* to be used for any common cause of the steppe. This tax will be gathered from this council meeting onwards."

Count Quiris Corax took a pause to let the mesage sink in and give everyone a small chance to process it.

"Should anyone have proposals to change or oppose the tax, they should speak now when they still have the chance."

*OOC: Wealth of the hex(es) only. Taxing raiding would be too bothersome. Merchant Connections and Bureucrat affect the taxes, and so does Independently Wealthy. In RL-time it is taken every week.
Pravenstern
Pravenstern
Eminent
Eminent

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow-Seeker Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:49 am

Everard raised his hand

"A question, Governor. Are there any specific projects that this money shall be used for? Or is it an emergency fund?"
Shadow-Seeker
Shadow-Seeker
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name:
Counties Ruled:

Back to top Go down

Post by Pravenstern Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:55 am

Quiris answered the question.

"When the suggestion was given, the intended purpose was to build a chain of watchtowers in the northern borders of the steppe. It was also mentioned that the gold could be used as an emergency fund should other disasters strike the Steppe.

Frankly, I believe it would also be practical to pay the seasonal taxes to the King from them too."
Pravenstern
Pravenstern
Eminent
Eminent

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolando Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:22 am

The sound of doors opening interrupted the ongoing meeting, though it was clear that whoever was entering the meeting chamber was making an effort to be as least disruptive as possible. Obviously, they knew that they were late. After several seconds, a group of four men clad in the traditional armor of a Barclayan Conquistador entered into view, but between them was a middle-aged man of average height with graying hair dressed in the formal robes of an Astraean Bishop.

One of the Conquistadors spoke first, a thick accent evident in his voice,
"Archbishop Rolando Juárez of Walden—"

"Thank you, Sir Narváez," the Bishop interrupted. Although not quite as pronounced, this man possessed the  faint remnants of a Barclayan accent. "My apologies. I was delayed on my trek here. Please, carry on." Quickly, the man approached one of the remaining empty chairs and took a seat. The rest of his entourage disappeared, except for the Barclayan who first spoke; he remained by the Bishop's side.

Rolando
Renowned
Renowned

Character sheet
Character Name: Rolando Juárez
Counties Ruled: Walden, Hex 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Pravenstern Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:36 am

Quiris nodded at the new arrival, but refrained from commenting this time.
Pravenstern
Pravenstern
Eminent
Eminent

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow-Seeker Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:36 am

"Greetings Lord Bishop." Said everard while he nodded to the new arrival.

He turned to the governor

"Very well. Thank you governor."
Shadow-Seeker
Shadow-Seeker
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name:
Counties Ruled:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Nickolas Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:09 am

"Regarding the matter of the tax...

The tax was originally envisioned to build the watchtowers along the northern border, yes? What of those who have already built these watchtowers of their own accord? Will these northern lords be compensated for taking the initiative in this matter?"

Count Lane remained seated in his chair as he spoke. His gaze lingered slightly on the Evasolde representative before refocusing his attention on Count Corax.

"A part of me wishes to believe the tax may no longer be needed, however the convenience of the fine Count Vealdis of paying the seasonal, royal taxes is not something we can all rely on. In truth, I have forgotten about this tax for the Steppe and the tax required for the King.

If the Steppe taxes continue to go toward the funding of the watchtowers, the royal tax, and perhaps even Reserve Camps for those not on the north, then the House of Lane shall give its support. However, who will be handling the gold gathered for these taxes? The Eastern Steppe does not have a treasurer, only a Governor at the moment.

Shall the Council create a position for Treasurer of the Steppe to handle this matter, or will the Governor handle the tax money?"

Even as Simon spoke, a sense of dread could be discerned. He meant no disrespect to his neighbor, Count Quiris Corax, but the aspect of these taxes, while beneficial to the Steppe, will be another thorn in his plans...
Sir Nickolas
Sir Nickolas
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychozoa Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:47 pm

Count Vincent stood up after the others talked

"I have some ideas regarding the Tax. First of all, the amount is too high as the thread from the north is gone. I agree with Count Quiris that the Tax enforced by our King should be paid from this pool as well with all improvements of the steppes which benefit everyone. I think the Watchtower along the northers borders benefit everyone."

Vincent looked through his papers for a few seconds and then held one right before his face as he read something from it.

"Trough my calculations, which are very rough as I have no insight into your economy. A 20 percent Tax will give us around 120 Crowns each month. This is too much in my opinion. 10 percent should be enough which would give us around 60 Crowns, from this the 34 Crowns for the King can be paid and some can be left over for the Watchtowers and other things."
Psychozoa
Psychozoa
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Laisha Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:38 pm

"If I may be bold," ventured Laisha, sitting up straight in her seat, "I would propose one of those things the tax funds is the Knights of the Clarion Call.  The order took heavy casualties in Poinsbruk and is always in need of funding to replenish and expand its numbers.  As much as I wish the Mystmountain threat was over, who knows how many of those men we fought lived through their injuries?  Further, who knows how many were not present?  I would imagine thousands.

"Thus, I ask that you consider my order the defenders of the steppe and aid us in that worthy goal."
Laisha
Laisha
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name: Laisha McCulloch
Counties Ruled: North Silverwood, 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Valdir Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:23 pm

"The Clarion Call will be provided for, of that I have no doubt." Valdir followed, he had been looking at the newly arrived Bishop and was wondering what had happened with the mentioned Vealdis..Bishop of Walden?

"Watchtowers and reserve camps for the Clarion Call, the seasonal tax for our beloved King, an emergency fund and if I may propose; we could use the taxes to support Council decrees when needed."

"We would benefit greatly from a treasury, but I agree with Count Margrove, a tenth of our monthly income should be enough."
Valdir
Valdir
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow-Seeker Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:32 pm

Everard nodded

"I also agree. A tenth of our incomes will suffice."

Everard then looked at Laisha

"How large does the order stand as of now?"
Shadow-Seeker
Shadow-Seeker
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name:
Counties Ruled:

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychozoa Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:33 pm

"As Count Valdir said they are already helped with the reserve Camps many of us build? Of course it is important that they are rewarded for their help during the battle. Maybe they could sent us a list of their losses during the battle and then we can add a little bit gold to the spoils of war they gained."

Vincents face showed a little smile as looked down again. He took his quill again and started to write something down.

"I would say the Governor should be responsible for the treasury, but of course the money should only be spent if the majority of the Counts agree to it or there is an emergency which demands no delay."Vincent paused just a few seconds to look at the other Counts. "But that is something we can discuss later on."

Psychozoa
Psychozoa
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Pravenstern Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:34 pm

Quiris flipped through several parchments.

"Your conserns have been heard and will be addressed in the later parts.

Countess McCulloch, supporting the Clarion Call is a noble goal, but will be discussed in in the third part. The same goes for your question, Count Lane. As of now, we just need to set taxes, before moving to the organisational parts which does cover the treasury question."

Another flipped parchment.

"As required, we will vote on the matter of taxes. You have been given the necessary equipment. The options are to keep the tax normal, or lower it to 10%. Unless anything else comes up, we will then move to the next part."

OOC: I will continue if nothing comes up before the evening The vote can run in the background.
Pravenstern
Pravenstern
Eminent
Eminent

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rolando Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:51 pm

Rolando listened to the arguments regarding taxes, silently weighing each for its merits. To any observer, his stoic expression revealed very little. Having nothing to add, he remained silent.

Rolando
Renowned
Renowned

Character sheet
Character Name: Rolando Juárez
Counties Ruled: Walden, Hex 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Pravenstern Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:54 am

”Moving on, it is time to discuss any necessary roles in the Steppe. Currently, I have three different positions thought out at the moment.

First up is the already suggested treasurer. In conjunction with the sitting governor, the treasurer will distribute gold from the taxes to any previously agreed plans: for example, determining the order and the rate of building for the watchtowers of the north. The treasurer will keep tally on taxes, both those gathered and those sent to the king. Everything done with the gold in the treasury will be public for all lords.

Second is the position of Marshal of the Steppe. The Marshal is given the overall command of any Steppe-wide campaigns, such as the recent pre-emptive strike, when the necessity arises, and must create the battle plan in cooperation with other lords. The holder of the position has the authority to issue a call-to-arms should the barbarians start to gather. Failing to answer that will have consequences.

The third position is the Warden of the Steppe. The warden must scout the Northern area in case of any Mystmountain hordes and report them to the lords. To that duty, the warden must appoint its own troops to patrol the borders of the Steppe, constantly. In exchange, so long as the warden keeps fulfilling its duty, the warden needs not to pay the taxes: in order to better keep the tied troops in fighting condition.”

Quiris stopped to gather his breath for a second before adding.

”You may start the conversation and the questions. I have thought about these, and would suggest Counts Bazzano, McCulloch and Abaddon to these positions respectively.”

OOC:
Treasurer: keeps tabs on the taxes. Anything other than the royal taxes will have to be agreed with the governor to prevent the treasurer from simply transferring all the gold to him/herself. Failing to pay the royal taxes is the same as refusing a position (-100 prestige, yes, seriously).

Marshal: Not answering the call with even a single captain (unless you can really explain it, up to GMs) will cost you 30 prestige and the trust of other lords (shame on you!). The Warden must confirm the existence of the horde to the other lords.

Warden: Must put three units of levy, two units of militia, or one unit of higher into patrolling duty. The units must contain at least 50 men. They can be swapped when necessary without penalty (e.g. beaten by the barbarians). The units will only scout, not engage. Raiding is not allowed with those units. Failing to meet these expectations is the same as refusing a position (-100 prestige, yes, seriously).

All these positions count as councillors (+5 prestige weekly).
Pravenstern
Pravenstern
Eminent
Eminent

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Nickolas Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:54 am

"I agree on your nominations, Count Corax," Simon said as he addressed the newest topic, "however I would like to nominate myself for the Treasurer position. Count Valdir has been known to be gracious with his funds, hiring mercenaries and sending them to assist with Tysha's assault on Poinsbruk. While I have no doubt that he means well for the Steppe, I believe the current issues at hand regarding watchtowers and reserve camps may be more suited for a lord or lady who resides on the northern border - next to Mystmountain territory.

I know I was not able to be present or send any representatives for the assault in question. Let me handle this task to make up for it."
Sir Nickolas
Sir Nickolas
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down