Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Eastern Council : Session One

+6
Shadow-Seeker
Sir Nickolas
Vealdis
Tysha
Valdir
Mordred
10 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

The Eastern Council : Session One - Page 4 Empty Re: The Eastern Council : Session One

Post by Valdir Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:41 am

Valdir coughed and smiled, knowing his cough must've been just as annoying as Florian's sniff.

"Then, shall we continue to the topic of Feudal Law and the Transfer of Power?"

He pressed his index fingers on the parchment in front of him, as if to suggest it was next on the agenda.
Valdir
Valdir
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet
Character Name: Valdir Bazzano
Counties Ruled: Talon March [4]

Back to top Go down

The Eastern Council : Session One - Page 4 Empty Re: The Eastern Council : Session One

Post by Psychozoa Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:07 am

Vincent voted and then handed the piece of Paper to one of the men who put it into the box. He then cleared his throat to answer Count Valdir.

"I guess the King has given us in his wisdom the correct approach to the Feudal Law. The Law of halves is revoked and we can all rejoice about that. We need the men to defend our new found homes and the people living in our countys. Regarding the Transfer of Power I say we keep the status quo as well. Titles may not be usurped. We have much more urgent matters to tend to and not a single Noble of the steppes has shown us any sign that he would be unworthy of holding his title."
Psychozoa
Psychozoa
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name: Vincent Margrove
Counties Ruled: Hex 21, Silverwood Edge

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordred Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:25 am

Florian looked up from some notes he was reading over, to interject.

"Feudal law states that Counts may not be removed from power except by the King or other legitimate force, such as this Council. It is more over the creation of new, higher titles such as Earls and Dukes, the creation of Marches or the vasseling of one Count to another which is not currently covered adequately. The crown is investing much power, authority which it usually reserves for itself for the better administration, and faster growth of this area."

He paused a moment to pull out his handkerchief and wipe his nose before continuing.

"The creation of an Earldom for instance - it would require a nominal fee to the crown, but other than that there is little in place to legislate how this is handled. Pendor has, for generations seen titles handed down from father to son, never before has there been the need for such widespread allocation of power. What influence must be exerted? What hoops jumped through? What oaths offered by vassals? Even what geographical or political power will it hold? Once created, what powers goes it offer? The right to taxation? To raise vassal levies? And if so, by how much or how many?"

He replaced the cloth in his pocket, and sat straighter, eyes casting over each present noble in turn.

"How much power would you see vested in these people? Should each Count be virtually autonomous, or rather have power concentrated in the hands of a few for a more centralised authority? These are the decisions this council must make"

OOC : Trying IC to say OOC what would it cost, like gold, prestige, how much land must be held before a title can be created, etc.
Mordred
Mordred
King
King

Character sheet
Character Name: Mordred Adalhard
Counties Ruled: All of them

https://aftermathreborn.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Vealdis Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:47 am

Vealdis fills in his vote and then gives it to the servant. He stands up turns his face to Florian.

''The last thing we need are counts that give themselves any more titles. With all do respect to all lords and ladies here that proclaimed their own, ofcourse. Titles should be disussed in these councils and a majority should aprove of it. Wars have been started over Lords that fancied themself a king.''

Vealdis uses his sleeve to whip some sweat of his face before he sits down again.
Vealdis
Vealdis
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name: Vealdis Hullcleaver
Counties Ruled:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Nickolas Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:52 am

Count Lane rose form his seat to address the council, showing no regard for Vealdis' suggestion.

"I personally believe that each Count and Countess should be allowed to operate on their own.

We shall rise through the ranks with respect, prosperity, and military might."

Simon hesitated before he continued, suggested he was conflicted with his own words, "Other titles can be awarded by the Council. These titles could be influenced on how the individual contributes to the region, whether it be by wealth or defense. However, titles awarded by the Council are no more powerful than the ones achieved by the individual."

After that was said, Simon resumed to sitting in his chair.

[OCC: Respect -> Prestige, Prosperity -> Gold, and Military Might -> Self Explanatory]

Last edited by Sir Nickolas on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:56 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added closing (Simon sat back down))
Sir Nickolas
Sir Nickolas
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name: Simon Lane
Counties Ruled: 18 (Duskfall Sanctuary)

Back to top Go down

Post by Valdir Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:55 am

Valdir, who also scribbled down hit vote gave it to one of the men clad in Marleons colors, spoke up as well.

"We shouldn't call a vote on whether or not the nobles that rule the steppe are allowed to handle their own affairs autonomous. However, if conflict arises the Governor, in his neutrality and authority, could function as a mediator. Furthermore, I'd propose we skip the topic of vassalage and Earldoms until we've managed to retake Poinsbruk and Alden Castle."
Valdir
Valdir
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow-Seeker Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:56 am

Everard nods

"I agree with Simon Lane. Each count must maintain a degree of Sovereignty as deserved of a vassal of the King."
Shadow-Seeker
Shadow-Seeker
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name:
Counties Ruled:

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychozoa Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:43 am

Vincent blushed a bit when Florian corrected his words. He thought a few moments and then found the words he needed.

"Excuse my foolish comments, I guess I have to think before I talk." He laughed a bit.

"Returning to business, I think a Count should only account for his deeds to his superiors. Which would at first be the Governor of the Steppes. If he is not able to settle the matter then other, and maybe more drastic, measures have to be taken. Regarding fees to acquire an Earldom or such, I think we are right now too far away from this to happen. I think we should address these matters when they are imminent."
Psychozoa
Psychozoa
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Valdir Sat Jul 13, 2013 6:45 am

Valdir nodded, apparently he and Vincent were of a same mind.
Valdir
Valdir
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Vealdis Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:23 am

Vealdis nods at the words of Vincent and Valdir.

''I agree, more urgent matters are at hand, I don't think that anyone here will bend the knee today nor conquer another ones land.''

Vealdis then rose and turned himself towards Simon Lane. He sneezed before continuing.

''Indeed, lords and ladies must be able to do their own business. They may proclaim who is their vassal for all I like. I meant that titles that are in a higher degree than they currently possess should be handled by this council.''
Vealdis
Vealdis
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Counties Ruled:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Nickolas Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:39 am

Simon turned to face Vealdis, but remained seated.

"If the issue wishes to be postponed, then why argue it further?"

The warrior then poured some water into his disfigured goblet and drank from it. Afterwards, he continued attending the session.
Sir Nickolas
Sir Nickolas
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Vealdis Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:41 am

Veadlis sits down again.

''Because it will come up again, Lord Lane.''
Vealdis
Vealdis
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Counties Ruled:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valdir Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:46 am

"Not to limit you when you've become worthy of a higher position among the nobility, but rather to keep the balance of the Steppe. Thus, the council should support ones rise to Earl or Duke like Count Vealdis has suggested."

Valdir took a sip of water, then continued.

"Even though this is, if I am correct, different from the current requirements of such a title, I would postpone a vote on the matter. Knowing that we all agree on certain matters creates comfort, but let us not linger on these things while our counties are still suffering from the remnants of the war."

Putting his goblet down, Valdir, who was seated in the middle of the half-circled table, said a last word.

"As I look down on the decrees listed, I notice that we will remain without a Governor for almost a full season. This is unwise, especially since we are now at our weakest and it is paramount that we stand firm and together. Therefore, I suggest to appoint an interim-Governor until the new Council gathering."

Then, he sat down again.
Valdir
Valdir
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Vealdis Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:11 am

Vealdis rises from his seat.

''I agree. We should have someone in that postion when things go for the worst. If we are going to vote now, what is the case I presume, who is willing to take up the postion?''

Vealdis looks around the room.
Vealdis
Vealdis
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Counties Ruled:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordred Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:14 am

Florian gave out a polite cough after the two had spoken, and raised his head to engage them.

"Perhaps it would be advisable to nominate people for the position, rather than volunteer; I am sure that several of your number would be too humble to put themselves forward, mmm? He said with a chuckle, his face wearing a cheeky grin.
Mordred
Mordred
King
King

Character sheet
Character Name: Mordred Adalhard
Counties Ruled: All of them

https://aftermathreborn.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Tysha Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:00 pm

Tysha looked from noble to noble before speaking.

"As we need a mere caretaker, I propose a lord who has demonstrated such... bureaucratic inclinations. I nominate Count Valdir Bazzano."
Tysha
Tysha
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet
Character Name: Tysha Abaddon
Counties Ruled: Hex 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Psychozoa Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:41 pm

Vincent stood up after Lady Tysha was finished.

"I don't think we should reduce the position of Governor to a mere Caretaker. Even though we don't have much to discuss right now and the threat of the Mystmountains is there but they are not attacking us, the position of Governor is still important."

"I would put myself forward for this task. The reason I do this is simple. I have proposed the decree of new Taxes for the steppes, and as far as I can see I don't think they will be accepted during this meeting. As a Governor of the steppes I would have the insight to better calculate what we really need for the Watchtowers or for the defense against the Mystmountains. With these information I could adapt the decree to that extent that everyone may accept this."

Vincent sat down again, he looked around the room looking into the faces of the people.
Psychozoa
Psychozoa
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Valdir Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:27 pm

Valdir raised from his seat, with an expression on his face suggestion he was enormously flattered.
"Dearly gathered, Lady Tysha. I appreciate the trust that you give me, as such I won't refuse the position as interim-Governor. Let me adres first the speech of Count Vincent." he faced him directly

"You want to become the interim-Governor because you've put forward a decree, that did not match the financial situation of the other counties. It was bold, and we were fast to point out that flaw. If you merely want to improve the wording and timing of your decree, then we'll find a way when you're visiting my county. I am sure the northern lords would like to join this discussion and my land is much closer to the mystmountain threat than yours."

He then faced away from Count Vincent, and adressed the entire council.

"I will not claim ancient noble rights to a position as Governor, as I do not have them. Nor have I the ambition to force my own beliefs on the people and yourselves. But let me try to convince you all that I suggested the appointment of an interim-Governor for a reason."

pausing for a moment, Valdir took a sip from the goblet with water before he continued.

"Content with my life in the lakeside village of Logna, my neutrality would ensure fair decisions on fields as religion and our policy towards the barbarians from the Mystmountains. As such, my door will always be open to discuss bringing new topics into our future meetings, while I will support Council decrees through my personal treasury."

The new Count of Talon March looked around the half-circled table and to those on the raised platform, before he added a final word.

"Although I am new to the nobility and cannot let that speak for me, I'd appreciate all the present members of this council to voice any questions that they may have for me."

He didn't return to his seat as he raised his goblet to his lips, waiting for anyone present to voice either their question or their support.
Valdir
Valdir
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Vealdis Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:47 am

Vealdis stands up and raises his goblet to lord Valdir.

''I support this man, but do know that you are only choosen to be there when things might go for the worst. Before the next meeting, another Governor will be choosen. You are not directly in the position to change things, not yet atleast. You will be there when high need arises and I find that Valdir will fill in this postion nicely.''

Vealdis then drinks from his goblet, he keeps standing on his feet, looking around the room.
Vealdis
Vealdis
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Counties Ruled:

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow-Seeker Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:50 am

Count Everard looked to all the nobles around the table

"The position of governor, while one that would require a mediator and someone to lead over the council, must also be one who can lead. Someone who is a noble in all senses of the word."

He looked to Count Valdir

"Valdir, no disrespect to you, but we are new to these lands, we are the last to presume authority over any of the others. Plus, considering the.. origins of your title and name, I doubt many of the nobles in this land would look to you as a leader."

He looked back to the crowd

"We need someone to lead, someone who is wise and experienced. That is why I nominate Count Simon Lane. His house has always stood against the Mystmountains, I'm sure all of us have heard at least one tale of the martial prowess of their warriors, the tactical insight of their leaders. He has been here, probably the longest out of all of us. He is martially minded, he inspires courage in his fellows, and until the election of a full governor, he can lead us, in any case of emergency."

He looked back to Valdir

"Content with your life in Logna? That's not what I want in a governor. A noble serves his king, and protects his nation, if you are content with the current state of affairs, with Poinsbruk gone and the threat of barbarians looming over us, then I'm not sure I would want you as a governor. Your claim of neutrality isn't because you are neutral, its because you have yet to do anything that would show us what your position is. Count Lane however, I know is a devout Astraean, but not to the point of attacking other counts, and will not back down in any discussion on the 'policy' towards the Mystmountain Barbarians."
Shadow-Seeker
Shadow-Seeker
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name:
Counties Ruled:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valdir Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:54 am

Valdir nodded at Vealdis, grateful for his support. However, his face turned more serious when he adressed Count Everard.

"Your words are full of presumptions, Count Everard. If you had truly known about the origin of my title and name, you would know that I am fully capable to lead men into battle."
Valdir
Valdir
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Tysha Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:57 am

Tysha sighed.

"Lord Vincent has indeed shown initiative. This interim governor will need little of that, unless there is an emergency. Lord Valdir is a capable manager, as evidence by the rumors of an overflowing treasury.

"As to Count Simon Lane, he is without a doubt a good man and a strong leader. Yet, unless he has had a change of heart, he does not wish to engage in the squabbling of such politics. I promised you, Lord Lane, that I would keep you out of the games nobles play. This is one of them, my lord.

"Are we perhaps ready to vote, then?"
Tysha
Tysha
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet
Character Name: Tysha Abaddon
Counties Ruled: Hex 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Shadow-Seeker Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:28 am

Everard glanced at Tysha

"I didn't realize that picking a leader was a political game for you, Lady Tysha. And the overflowing treasury comes not from "management", it comes from the spoils of war."

He looked back to Valdir

"The spoils of war, earned by your brother."
Shadow-Seeker
Shadow-Seeker
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet
Character Name:
Counties Ruled:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valdir Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:36 am

Valdir, quite suddenly, laughed.

"My dear Count Everard. I shall warn you, because you seem to accept rumors for truth a bit too easily. My brother, how you came to know exactly that he is my brother is a mystery to me, but my brother knows only how to charge into battle on horseback. I had to recruit the troops, equip them, train them, and pay them."

He smiled again,
Valdir
Valdir
Illustrious
Illustrious

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Nickolas Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:50 am

Simon rose from his seat to address his nomination.

"While I appreciate the gesture, Count Everald, Lady Tysha is correct. I am not a man of politics.

It is true that we have stood against the Mystmountains for generations. It may be true that the House of Lane has been here longer than any house present at this meeting. However, I am a warrior. I am to be on the battlefield slaughtering my foes instead of being locked up in a chamber discussing ink and parchment.

The only possible benefits I have is on matters of war. Perhaps when the Eastern Council needs someone more oriented for warfare, maybe then I could be nominated. Alternatively, the House of Lane is still somewhat of an isolated house. If neutrality is needed on the subject, then I'll take the position if the council desires it."

Simon then looked toward Count Valdir.

"The House of Lane agrees with the decision to nominate Valdir for Governor of the next council. To those who disagree with this move, remember that Governors only hold office for one session, and then there is another election for the next one. If he proves to be incapable, then feel free to nominate another candidate.

In my eyes, has proven capable of running the Council, although if I dare say he does rush the process slightly. Either way, truth can only be told after he officially runs a session. Let him be Governor, and let us see what he brings to the Eastern Steppes."

With that, Simon sat back down.
Sir Nickolas
Sir Nickolas
Distinguished
Distinguished

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next